Today has been a HUGE day in getting ready for my trip. I read a lot more of Banker to the Poor by Muhammad Yunus. I am so excited to be able to be a part of this process. I've been playing with the camera from
work, and I think I will be able to take lots of pictures and share them with everyone, while I am in Costa Rica. :) So STAY TUNED! (For all you Starbucks fans, go ahead and try to identify the the drink and location.)

I also met up with some friends who recently took a trip to Nicaragua.
They helped women there make beads out of paper. The women can then sell the beads to missionaries in the area or some of my friends are making jewelry from the beads and selling them to raise money for the women back in Nicaragua. The organization they have been working with is Amigos for Christ. Some of the beads they made are also for sale on etsy.com. (A really AWESOME website for finding handmade items.) They shared pictures and lots of fun beads and jewelry they had made. It was also inspirational to hear how much the experience had changed their lives or more so their outlook on life. They did recommend bringing some "comforts", like pillowcases, or a small bottle of your favorite scented lotion. (I'll work on that.) Overall it was great hearing their story, and gets me even more excited about my trip. There was also a really cool sunset, but this pictures doesn't do it justice.

So I am off to pack some more.
2 comments:
Suggestion - those little bottles of scented hand sanitizer from Bath & Body Works.
Normally I am not a huge fan of hand sanitizers in general (the whole breeding of super-bugs thing)and I am not a huge fan of Bath & Body Works but they do smell nice and the bottles are a great size for a purse, pocket or other bag.
I really feel that having had these contributed to me not getting sick when I was in Thailand.
Awesome idea!
Not only does it clean, but I think scents are super important to feeling "comfortable" in a place. Kind of like a security blanket. I am also taking small sound bits of my favorite people laughing, which I think will help if and when I get homesick.
Any recommendations on teaching english as a second language?
Post a Comment