Saturday, August 30, 2008

Halfway point

We´ve been in Costa Rica for only 14 days but it seems like forever. This weekend we are in Torteguerro National Park. It is great. Alonso, our guide for the night walk on the beach actually owns the Internet Cafe where I am writing this from as well. The beach walk was great. We saw one HUGE green turtle walk her way back to the ocean. Then we saw one that was just coming in at the shore line. After that we were able to see one laying eggs and covering them up afterward. It was awesome. There aren´t any pictures though, because light/cameras aren`t allowed on the beach at night because it might frighten the turtles. In fact there was a little lightening last night, an the first turtle we saw going back to the ocean did not actully lay any eggs because of the lightening. This morning, Louise, one of the GVI staff members with us saw 10 little hatchling turtles make their way to the ocean. The pictures she has are breathtaking. It´s been a very exciting week, and a great way to mark our halfway point.

1 comment:

Healing Hands Therapeutic Massage said...

Omigosh! I'm so jealous you got to see turtles laying their eggs, and that your friend took pictures of the little hatchlings on their way to the big wide ocean!!! I would have loved to see that... I'm so glad you had such an amazing trip!!! :-D

~Anastasia
www.kopaliorganics.com