Sunday, August 24, 2008

La Fortuna

It does seem a little odd for me to be off on the weekends...but here we are in La Fortuna relaxing a little before our work week starts again. We arrived Saturday afternoon and went walking around town. It is definitely a tourist town, but it's been great. We have had several opportunities to see the Arenal Volcano erupting, which is pretty amazing since it is normally covered with clouds. It first erupted in 1968 and is still active. There's a great little central park area which is a great place to meet people and practice speaking in Spanish with the locals. I met Isodoro who had actually lived in Atlanta for 2 years. Parts of the conversation were probably missed, but overall it was a great moment.

Saturday we went and swam in the waterfall. The water was SUPER cold, but very refreshing. Then we ate dinner and went to the hot springs, and really were able to relax. The water is heated by the erupting volcano, and is just amazing. There were a few falls there, too, which felt wonderful on my shoulders. I was really ready to sleep when we got back to the hotel.

Sunday we got up early for breakfast, and saw part of the closing ceremonies, which was pretty neat. Then 5 of us went Ziplining through the canopy. That was wonderful. There were colorful butterflies all around, and the views were amazing. I was very nervous, but I am REALLY glad I did it.

Pura vida!

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I am looking forward to seeing your pictures - this sound amazing!

Healing Hands Therapeutic Massage said...

WOW, Julie!!! This is Anastasia from Kopali Organics. I just got caught up on your blog - you are having an AMAZING time and truly making a positive impact in the lives of the small organic farmers and women you're interacting with! I'm super proud of you and the WPF and look forward to meeting you when Norman and I finally get to the Atlanta area. Pura vida!! XOXO